Labor certification

The United States offers a way to get a green card called ‘labor certification’. It happens when an employer in the US wants to hire someone without the legal right to live and work in the US. The employer must then prove that there are no US workers who are suitably qualified to work in that position. Essentially, labor certification is a method through which companies can hire foreign workers.
The employer applies to the US Department of Labor, who must then certify the application or deny it. If approved, the employer can then apply for permanent residence for the foreign staff member with the US Citizenship and Immigration Services.